Addition games for kindergarten readiness can become fun experiences when teachers use something easily found around schools or homes: dice. See how math games for kids become fun, hands-on activities when children use dice in their learning. You will quickly see how math games for kindergarten readiness become popular among your preschoolers!
Try this new activity from Creative Investigations in Early Math
Jumping Numbers Game
Topic: Identifying numbers 1 to 6
Objective: Children will identify corresponding numbers to the numbers rolled on six-sided dice.
- Six-sided dot dice
- Sidewalk chalk for outdoor spaces
- Masking tape and a marker for indoor spaces
This game combines physical activity and number sense. Prior to playing the game, create a horizontal number line and write the numbers 1 to 6 on the line. Make a box around each number - with chalk outside or with masking tape inside - that is large enough for a child to stand in. This game can be played individually, in pairs, or in small groups.
- Before beginning play, talk with children about the dice. Invite them to examine a die and see how each of the six faces shows a different number of dots. Ask them to count the number of dots on each side with you.
- Have the children stand a few feet away from the number line.
- Ask one child to roll a die and watch to see which side lands facing up. That is the number he will need to jump to on the number line and then stand in that box until the next number is rolled. If playing in small groups, the children will need to take turns rolling a die and counting.
- Encourage the children to count together and help the player jump to the corresponding number on the number line.
Take anecdotal notes on the children's abilities to recognize and count one to six as well as cooperate with group members.
The complexity of the game can be increased by having children roll two dice and add the numbers together to play with numbers one to twelve. You could also ask all players to count the number of jumps it takes for a child to reach the appropriate number box on the number line.