books about zoos, such as My Visit to the Zoo by
Aliki and Going to the Zoo by Tom Paxton
small building items, such as LEGO(R) blocks
small plastic animals
Instructions:Set the above items in a work area for the children.
What to Do
1. Read a zoo book or two. Ask the children if they have been to the zoo.
2. Encourage them to talk about their experiences by asking them questions:
* What animals did you see at the zoo?
* What are your favorite animals?
* Do you like the zoo?
* What else can you tell the class
about the zoo?
* Do you know that all zoos are not the
3. Encourage all the children to participate in
Teacher - to - Teacher Tip
* Have the children build their own zoo with the
materials. They can put animals in different areas of
the zoo. It is often best if the children work in
small groups of two to four.
Consider the following:
* Can the children describe what they saw when they visited the zoo?
* What animals would the children like to see when they go to the zoo again?