paper in different colors and shapes
markers, pencils, pens, and crayons
pads of paper
rubber stamps and inkpads
new greeting cards or fronts of old greeting cards
1. Set up a writing area for two or three children to work together at a time.
Decorate the walls with alphabet posters and a list of all the children in the
2. Encourage the children to use the writing center by rotating writing tools
and paper frequently. Children are excited to see what’s new in the writing
area each week!
3. Encourage children to write their names by pointing to the name list. Add
seasonal writing paper and decorations to the writing area to generate new
4. Be sure to add a basket of books, including a child-size dictionary, laminated
name cards, and vocabulary word list for that week.
5. Set up mailboxes for the children so they can “mail” each other cards, letters,