What to do
1. Play this memory language game during large or small group time.
2. Have the children sit in a circle. Start the game by saying, "When I go on a picnic, I will bring...." Name an object. Limit the items, if desired, by explaining that the objects need to be from a certain category (such as food or the name of a friend in the class).
3. Continuing around the circle, each child repeats the sentence and items already said and add a new item.
4. Bring literacy into this activity by writing a list of the items at the end of the game.
5. This activity can be simplified by asking the children to find an item in the classroom to bring to a picnic and bring it to group time. This helps the children build their vocabulary with less focus on memory and recall.
-Ann Kelly, Johnstown, PA