empty milk and juice cartons
scissors (adult only)
spoons or small child-size plastic shovels
colored contact paper
1. Rinse and dry several milk or juice cartons. Cut off the tops of
2. Have the children scoop sand into the openings of the cartons and
small boxes using a spoon or shovel. (Make sure the cartons have
different amounts of sand in them so they have different weights and
make sure they are not too heavy. You can always add new ones with
3. Flatten any protrusions.
4. Securely seal the openings with tape.
5. Wrap colored contact paper around the cartons and boxes.
6. Encourage the children to build! They will experience various weights as
they build with the blocks.