- word wall
- pens and pencils
- Create a word wall in your classroom of words the children are learning or have learned. Encourage the children to use the word wall to write letters to anyone they choose. The children may use any of the supplies at the post office center to do their writing.
- Encourage children to use words they know from the word wall and to sound out words they do not know to complete the letters.
- Let the children put their letters in envelopes, address them, and place them in the classroom mailbox.
- As a class, explain what happens to letters when they are placed in the mailbox.
- Arrange to have a class pen pal. As a class, write a letter to your new pen pal.