letter-size file folder
green, pink, red, and black markers
laminate or clear contact paper
1. Cut out 20 watermelon slices from white paper. Color a green rind and pink
center on each one.
2. Draw a different number of seeds on ten of the slices (1 through 10). Write a
different number on the remaining ten slices (1 through 10).
3. Glue the 10 watermelons with seeds on an open file folder. Glue the 10
watermelons with numbers on tagboard and cut each one out. Mount to the
remaining 10 watermelons (with numbers) onto piece of tag board and cut
4. Laminate the inside of the file folder and watermelon slices. Add a small
piece of Velcro to each watermelon on the file folder and the other side of
the Velcro to the back of the watermelon slices. Store the pieces in an
5. Encourage the children to match the watermelon slices (with numbers) to
the watermelon slices with seeds.