One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
assorted colors of plastic fish
small die-cut fish or fish stickers
orange, yellow, red, blue, and green construction paper
large bowl pattern
Instructions:1. Prepare one fish bowl pattern per child using white paper and either make fish die-cuts out of orange, red, yellow, blue, and green paper or provide fish stickers of the same colors mentioned.
2. After reading the story One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish make a pattern using the plastic fish.
3. Create an ABBCD pattern to go with the title of the book [One Fish (A) Two Fish (BB), Red Fish (C), Blue Fish (D)] or create a much easier AB pattern (red and blue fish) or ABB (one fish, two fish).
4. Encourage the children to come up with their own patterns using fish die-cuts or stickers. Invite them to glue fish on their white fish bowl pattern. Provide blue crayons so they can add water to the fish bowls.
5. Help them add a description under their patterns.
6. Discuss the children's patterns as a way to review patterning.