April Showers are past, and May Flowers are in bloom! Celebrate the beginning of summer with this fun flower activity. Perfect for recess, this activity allows your little learners to live out their dream of being a flower fairy while keeping active and entertained. Give it a try on a sunny summer afternoon!
colored tissue paper
scissors (adult use only)
flower wand (a paper flower taped to an unsharpened pencil with strands of colorful curling ribbon attached)
Before the Activity:
Make one colorful tissue paper flower per child by cutting sheets of tissue
paper into circles and squares, setting three sheets on top of each other,
holding them at the center, and twisting them into shape.
What To Do:
1. Invite the children to stand in a circle and join hands.
2. Display the assorted flowers in the center of the circle, scattered randomly.
3. Hand the flower wand to one child and have the child stand in the center of
the circle to become the "flower fairy."
4. Ask the children to walk around the circle of flowers, in a counterclockwise
direction, as they recite the following chant in unison:
Walk around the flowers
Growing on the ground.
Pretty summer flowers.
All sit down!
5. As the chant ends, all the children sit down quickly.
6. The person in the middle then uses the wand to tap various classmates,
signaling each one to pick a flower, say its color, and then carry it back to her
7. The activity continues until each of the children picks a flower.