Nothing says summer like a cookout! Kids love the opportunity to act out familiar situations and play with their food. Why not combine those interests with a play cookout? This activity from Learn Every Day About Seasons lets you and your children have a cookout without the heat and mess. Fire up the "grill" and get ready to chow down with this seasonal dramatic play activity!
- felt or craft foam in the following colors: pink, peach, light brown, dark brown
- small outdoor grill
- paper plates and other picnic tableware
- empty mustard and ketchup bottles
- Cut hot dog, bratwurst, hamburger, onion, pepper, and bun shapes from the felt or craft foam.
- Display all the materials in the dramatic play area of the classroom.
What to Do:
- Set the grill out in the dramatic play area and talk with the children about times they have eaten at barbecues. Ask the children what they ate at those barbecues, and what the weather was like.
- Show the children the materials, and invite them to take turns pretending to cook and serve the "food."