- variety of stamps
- magnifying glasses
- colored pencils
- clear tape or glue
- Send home a note asking parents to bring in old stamps. These can be postmarked and cut from the mail.
- Bring the stamp collection and other materials to an area of the classroom set up for post office play.
- Encourage the children to make observations about the different stamps. Ask questions about the shapes, sizes, and colors. Ask open-ended questions about the pictures. Discuss what stamps are for and how they are used as payment to have items delivered to any place in the world.
- Let the children choose their favorite stamp and attach it to a piece of paper.
- Encourage them to use their imaginations to draw a picture of where the stamp is from, where the mail came from, or what was inside the envelope or letter. Ask the children to describe their drawing and write the description on their project.