- 9" x 12" white construction paper
- black, pink, and green tempera paint (for spring tree)
- black, brown, orange, yellow, red, and green tempera paint (for autumn tree)
- small shallow containers to hold paint
- Cut sponges into blossom shapes and leaf shapes. Make several of each.
- Pour each color of paint into a separate container.
- Ask the children to use a paintbrush to make a black tree on white paper. Allow the painting to dry.
- For a spring tree, encourage the children to paint small green leaves on the tree and the grass underneath. Show them how to dip a blossom-shaped sponge into pink paint and dab it onto the tree.
- For an autumn tree, the children dip the leaf-shaped sponges into the desired color and tap them on the tree, with some falling and some on the ground.