Small clay pot and saucer
Clear resin spray can (found at hobby stores)
Flower seeds or small flowering plants
Moist potting soil
1. Give each child a small clay pot and saucer.
2. Ask the children to place their pots upside down on newspaper and paint
designs on them. (It’s nice to write the date on the bottom.)
3. Leave the pots on the newspaper and allow them to dry thoroughly.
4. When the pots are dry, keep them on the newspaper and spray them
generously with clear resin spray (adult only). Let them dry overnight.
5. When the pots are completely dry (not tacky), fill them with moist potting soil
and place the saucers under each pot.
6. Help the children plant either the seeds or small flowers and water them
7. Place the pots in a warm, sunny window until they are ready to give as a gift.
More to do
Books: Read books about flowers and how they grow.
Field Trip: Visit a botanical garden or large nursery.
Holidays: Talk about Mother’s Day and what it means.