- stories about bugs, spiders, and grasshoppers
- chart paper
- large cardboard paper with spider stickers and a menu written on it
- spider stickers
- Styrofoam balls one for each child
- black paint
- black pipe cleaners
- wiggle eyes
- Read a story about spiders with the children.
- Encourage the children to help create a "spider menu" to use in a restaurant play. Ask them what a spider would want to eat if he could go to a restaurant. List their responses on a large sheet of paper.
- Cut cardboard or sturdy paper into 6" x 9" rectangles. Give one to each child to make his own spider menu. Encourage them to copy some of the items from the chart paper and decorate with spider stickers.
- Make Styrofoam spiders with the children. Give each child a Styrofoam ball to paint black. Provide black pipe cleaners for legs and wiggle eyes.
- The spiders can "read" the menus!