pictures of objects with stripes and spots
pictures of wild animals or zoo animals with spots or stripes
felt or magnets
flannel board or magnetic board
1. Show the children pictures of objects and discuss the differences in the
stripes and spots. Look at the animal pictures and talk about the stripes and
2. Glue felt on the backs of the pictures (for flannel board use) or magnets (for
magnetic board use).
3. Divide a flannel board or magnetic board in half one side for stripes and
one for spots.
4. Give each child a picture to place on the correct side of the board.
5. Place the materials in the math center for children to explore and practice
with during center time.
6. Do similar activities using other animal characteristics (such as fur or
feathers, long or short necks, and so on) to help the children build their
vocabulary as well as to focus on the similarities and differences.