Laundry soap flakes
Vanilla, cologne, other scents, optional
What to do
1. Before the children arrive, pour soap flakes into bowls, using a separate bowl for each color you
plan to use.
2. Slowly add water to the flakes until the mixture is the consistency of very stiff dough.
3. Ask the children to add drops of food coloring to each bowl, then mix. Add vanilla or other
scents, if desired.
4. Have the children shape large spoonfuls of the soap mixture into balls.
5. Place the balls onto trays, labeling each ball with the child’s name. Allow the balls to set and
harden for two to three days. Encourage the children to wash their hands with the soap balls in
class or at home.
More to do
Holidays: Wrap the soap balls in colorful tissue paper and fasten with yarn for a special gift.
Science: Ask the children about the appearance, smell, and feel of the soap mixture and balls, and
discuss how they used their senses of sight, smell, and touch.