Jack Frost Treat
Estimated time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder (available at kitchen supply stores)
- 6 tablespoons of warm water
- Edible glitter or decorative sugar sprinkles
- Baking sheet
- Wax paper
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Pastry bag with number 10 point
- Nylon thread (optional)
What to Do:
- Cover the baking sheet in wax paper. Set aside.
- Place the confectioner’s sugar, meringue powder and water in the large bowl. Beat the sugar mixture on low speed with the electric mixer until well mixed. Turn the electric mixer up to high and beat the mixture for up to 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the sugary meringue into the pastry bag.
- Make snowflake designs, each about the size of a walnut, on the wax paper-covered baking sheet. Draw a line first, then make lines over top of the first one. Add curls, circles, triangles and different shapes that resemble a snowflake.
- Dip the paintbrush in water and very lightly paint water over each snowflake. Sprinkle the glitter or sugar sprinkles over the snowflakes before the water dries.
- Let the snowflakes dry.
- Carefully remove the snowflakes from the paper with a spatula.
- Snowflakes (or any other shape) may also be used to garnish or decorate cakes, cupcakes or other wintry recipes, and they are delicious to eat at any time.
- Very carefully, tie a thread to each snowflake and hang, if desired.