6” x 9” construction paper in various colors
large salad bowl
Instructions:1. Gather the children together and ask them to name some items that might go into a salad. List each item on a piece of chart paper. (You can have children draw icons next to each word during small group time.)
2. Next make a list of things that definitely would NOT go into a salad.
3. Ask the children to draw a picture of something that would not go into a salad on a piece of construction paper.
4. Pre-trace vegetable shapes on construction paper. Help the children cut out all the shapes.
5. Label the pictures and "toss" the word cards in the salad bowl.
6. The children may practice tossing different combinations of their own personal salad by selecting a vegetable card, "reading" it, and keeping the card if read correctly.