- Old pairs of shoes
- Rickrack, pompoms, ribbon, and scraps of material
- Ask the children to bring in an old pair of shoes from home. The shoes could belong to a parent, sibling, or the child.
- Put all of the shoes together and let each child pick a pair to wear in a "shoe parade!" Walk around the classroom wearing the shoes.
- Encourage the children to decorate their shoes using paint, rickrack, old ribbon, pompoms, and so on to make "crazy shoes." Give a prize for the craziest shoe.
- Help the children make a giant shoe sculpture using the shoes.
- Read the story "The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe" with the children.