variety of shoes
1. Place a variety of shoes in the shoe store center.
2. Ask a small group of children in the center to sort the shoes according to
when they are worn (for example, summer shoes, winter shoes, and rainy day
3. Demonstrate how to sequence the shoes according to the season. For
example, sandals could represent summer, “school shoes” could represent
fall, boots could represent winter, and rubber rain boots could represent
4. Once the shoes are in line, ask the children to point to each shoe and say
which season it could be worn in.
5. Discuss the similarities and differences between the shoes. Talk about why
the shoes are made differently for different seasons.
6. If desired, research and discuss the differences between shoes from other
cultures or countries.