cookie cutters of different shapes, such as triangle, square, circle, and star
refrigerated cookie dough
oven (adult only)
1. Explore shapes with the children by making shape cookies. Help the children
use cookie cutters of different shapes to cut out shapes from cookie dough.
2. Place the cookies on a tray and put in an oven to bake according to package
3. After the cookies have cooled, let the children use plastic knives to ice the
cookies. Sprinkles are fun to put on top!
4. For more shape fun, cut sponges into different shapes, such as a square and
circle. Give each child a shape sponge to dip into paint and make sponge
For all cooking activities, take special precautions when working with
1. First, check for food allergies.
2. Make sure children wash their hands before handling the ingredients, and
before eating their creations.
3. While you are cooking with the children, supervise at ALL times, and
especially the use of any sharp utensils, as well as appliances. If children will
be using sharp utensils, try practicing this exercise with safe materials first,
and explain to the children how to use the utensil correctly.
4. Certain appliances should always be used by an adult only, such as ovens,
hot plates, and toaster ovens. Be sure that children are far enough from these
appliances that they do not run the risk of being burned. When you cook in a
pot on the stove, keep pot handle turned away from children so that the pot
is not bumped.
5. Try to involve children as much as possible. You may even want to go
shopping with them. Involve them in cleanup as well, and thank them for