St. Patrick's Day falls on March 17th and celebrates the famous patron saint of Ireland. In this activity, children will use fine motor skills to lace yarn through a shamrock while learning about this Irish symbol for the holy trinity— faith, hope and love. For more festive monthly activities, get the book, The GIANT Encyclopedia of Monthly Activities For Children 3 to 6.
- green paper
- shamrock pattern
- yellow yarn
- hole punch
What To Do
1. Draw a large shamrock on 8" x 11" sheets of green paper.
2. Have each child cut out a shamrock.
3. Use a hole punch to punch holes around the shamrock. The difficulty of this activity depends on how many holes you punch you can tailor the activity to each child's level of ability.
4. Give each child a piece of yellow yarn with both ends taped (to make "needles"). Encourage the children to lace the yellow yarn through each hole.
More to do
- Art: Let the children paint their shamrocks green. Let dry, decorate with glitter glue, and then punch holes.