4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 3/4 cups warm water
small containers with lids
large empty bowl
1. Make playdough with the children using the sensory table.
2. Put 4 cups of flour in a large container, 1 cup of salt in a container, and 1 3/4
cups warm water in a container. Place the containers and a large empty bowl
in the sensory table.
3. Encourage the children to look at the ingredients. Don’t give them any
instructions on how to make the playdough. Simply say, “Here’s what you
need to make playdough.”
4. Give the children a few minutes. Watch and see what they do. They may dig
in and start mixing the ingredients together.
5. If, after a few moments, the children don’t start mixing the ingredients, offer
some encouragement. Offer hints as needed. However, try not to lead the
children too much. Give them ample time to figure things out on their own.
Sooner or later, they will realize what needs to be done and start mixing
6. After the children have mixed the playdough and played with it for a while,
offer containers for storage.
7. If desired, double or triple the recipe and let the children make the
playdough as described. Then give each child a small zipper-closure bag to
bring home some playdough.
More to do Add a flavorful twist by letting the children add a package of unsweetened
drink mix to the playdough.