light card stock
textured materials (pipe cleaners, craft sticks, Q-tips, toothpicks, yarn)
1. Pre-cut cardstock to about 5” x 7”. With a marker, write a numeral on each
2. Each child picks a number card.
3. Have textured materials available, such as yarn, cotton balls, toothpicks, Q-tips,
pipe cleaners, sand, colored salt, cornmeal, sandpaper, and craft sticks.
4. Children select one type of the textured items to glue onto their numeral.
5. When the cards have dried, the children can trace each other’s numerals with
6. Have the children describe their number card to the other children. Ask the
children to describe how their numerals feel. “Do they feel soft? Rough?”