- large backpack
- a variety of small science items to fit into the backpack (such as magnifying
- glass, compass, tweezers, unbreakable mirrors, bug catchers, play telescope,
- binoculars, pinwheels, bubbles, and flashlights)
- pencils and markers
- Fill a large backpack with a variety of science items, paper, and markers.
- Introduce the backpack to the children during circle time and explain what each item inside the bag is used for. Tell them that the backpack will be used outside as an "outdoor science center."
- Bring the backpack outside during outdoor time and let the children use the items to explore the great outdoors.
- If desired, include plastic bags and tape for collecting nature items and antibacterial wipes for cleaning hands.
- Encourage the children to use the paper and markers to draw pictures of the natural environment outdoors.