Colored drawing chalk
Light colored construction paper, 8” x 10” (20 cm x 25 cm)
1 tsp. (5 mL) measuring spoon
1/4 cup (60 mL) measuring cup
What to do
1. Cover the table with newspaper.
2. Mix one teaspoon (5 mL) salt and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of warm water into small containers and stir.
Set out the containers and paper.
3. Invite the chldren to hold a piece of chalk in the saltwater for approximately one minute, then
draw with the wet chalk on the paper.
4. Encourage the children to dip the chalk into the saltwater as needed.
5. Allow prints to dry. Display for all to enjoy.
More to do
More art: Instead of the usual rectangle shape to paint on, cut paper into shapes such as egg
shapes for Easter, butterfly shapes for spring, and heart shapes for Valentine’s Day.