20 sheets of construction paper
Instructions:1. Write each of these words on a sheet of construction paper: fat, cat, funny, bunny, bug, jug, bony, pony, snake, cake, cool, tool, wee, bee, mad, dad, mouse, house, toad, road.
2. Spread the papers on the floor, mixing and separating the rhyming words.
Ask the following riddles, and have the children match the rhyming words.
* An overweight kitty (fat cat)
* A silly rabbit (funny bunny)
* A jar of insects (bug jug)
* A skinny horse (bony pony)
* A python dessert (snake cake)
* A cold hammer (cool tool)
* A tiny bug (wee bee)
* An angry father (mad dad)
* A rodent's home (mouse house)
* A frog's street (toad road)
3. Think up more simple nouns and ask the children to come up with their own rhymes.