Book of Mother Goose Rhymes
One candle in a candleholder
Brick or cardboard block
1. Jump-start those old nursery rhymes and explore the science of it all. Make it interesting and
fun by starting the role-playing yourself.
2. Dress as old Mother Goose. Make use of a shawl, perhaps a hat, granny glasses, a stuffed
goose. In your basket, have the props to bring your rhymes to life.
3. For Jack Be Nimble, jump over the candlestick really! Then measure how tall the candle is.
Then jump next to, behind or in front of the candlestick.
Jack be nimble
Jack be quick
Jack jump over the candlestick
4. You can have Humpty Dumpty acted out by a leader or by all the children. Balance your
hard-boiled egg on a real or cardboard brick wall. When Humpty falls, what happens? Can
he be put back together?
5. For Little Miss Muffet, choose a Miss Muffet and use a puppet spider. Use the poem as a
start for a study of spiders.
Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey
Along came a spider
And sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away.
More to do
Dramatic play: Put the props in the dramatic play center so the children can role play Mother