quiet instrumental music
1. This is a great transitional activity after outdoor play. Turn off the lights and
tell the children it is time to relax and loosen their muscles.
2. Turn on music and have the children join you on the floor.
3. Show them some quiet, relaxing movements, such as slowly raising your
arms over your head, stretching, and moving your fingers slowly.
4. Turn your head around slowly in circles, raise and lower your shoulders,
stretch your legs out in front of you, flex your toes, do ankle rolls. Try to
emphasize doing this slowly!
5. Once your class has had a few chances to try this activity, encourage them to
move their bodies in this quiet, slow, relaxing way on their own.
6. Point out different ways the children are moving, such as, “I see that Johnny
is slowly raising her hands above her head and then slowly putting them on
her shoulders.” The children love this activity and it makes smooth