I Read Symbols by Tana Hoban
1. When walking in the city, or when riding in cars and on the bus, children see
many road signs and other informational signs. This book has photographs of
many of these signs as well as an information guide to the symbols.
2. Show this wordless book to the children.
3. Ask them to identify several of the most familiar signs, such as symbols for
restrooms, “walk,” or a school zone.
4. Ask the children if they can tell you some symbols they see when they are not
in school. Help them find the symbols in the book.
5. Each time you show them the book, teach them the identity of another
6. Leave the book where children can enjoy it during reading time and choice
More to do
Blocks: Scan or photocopy the signs at the back of the book and cut them out.
Glue each sign to a craft stick. Put the signs and a roll of masking tape in the
Block Area. Children can tape them to the sides of blocks as they play.