- large pot
- large spoon
- color flash cards
- If you do not have color flash cards, create a set out of colored construction paper. You will need one card for each child.
What to Do
1. Ask the children to sit in a circle. Place a pot in the middle and announce that you are going to make rainbow soup.
2. Place the necessary color ingredients (the color flash cards) into a hat, and have each child draw one.
3. Tell the children that you want them to find objects in the room that match the color of the card that they have chosen.
4. Call the children back to the circle once everyone has had time to find an object.
5. Ask each child to take a turn showing the "ingredient" that she has found. For each one, ask the children if the color of the "ingredient" matches the child's color card. If everyone agrees that it is a match, let the child add it to the pot and give the soup a few stirs.
6. After the children add all of the "ingredients," peek into the pot and announce that they have made rainbow soup. Yum!
To assess the children's learning, consider the following:
- Ask the children to name their favorite foods and then name the color of each one.
- Ask each child to name her favorite color. Then ask each child to draw a picture of an object that is that color.
-Erin Huffstetler, Maryville, TN