snacks in specified colors (see activity below)
What to do
1. Ask each parent to sign up to bring in a food in a specified color. For example:
- red: apples, strawberries, plums, pears
- purple: grapes, pitted cherries, plums
- blue: blueberries, blue iced cake or cookies
- green: celery, grapes, pears, apples, kiwi fruit
- yellow: apples, pears, bananas, lemons, pineapple, sandwiches on yellow potato bread
- orange: mango slices, orange slices, apricots
2. Buy cups, plates, and napkins in solid colors.
3. Arrange the foods on a table by color.
4. Encourage the children to select at least one food from each color.
5. Eat your rainbow!
Safety Note: Be aware of any food allergies and plan accordingly.
More to do
- Art: Make rainbow streamers by attaching colored crepe paper steamers orbribbons to rings cut from plastic lids or heavy paper plates. Encourage thebchildren to run with them and watch the colors fly behind them.
- Outdoors: Let children use colored chalk to draw a rainbow on the ground.
- More Outdoors: Shoot a fine spray of water from a garden hose and show the children the rainbow held within it.
- Science: Use a prism to create a rainbow on paper.
-Sandra Gratias, Dublin, PA