Numbers and counting activities for preschoolers bring fun back into your preschool math lessons. Preschool math games give kids a chance to combine math with play, letting them learn new concepts in a less rigid classroom environment.
Fun counting activities aren’t hard to do. They can be as simple as counting seasonal materials, like leaves in the fall, or pumpkin seeds at Halloween! Try this pumpkin seed activity from The GIANT Encyclopedia of Math Activities for Children 3 to 6 with your students today!
Pumpkin Seed Count
• Baking sheet
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 1 tablespoon salt
• Cleaned pumpkin seeds
What to do
1. Place the baking sheet where the children can see it easily.
2. Have one child measure 1 tablespoon of oil and another child measure 1 teaspoon of salt into a bowl.
3. Ask the other children to take turns mixing the pumpkin seeds with the oil and salt.
4. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden in a 400° oven.
5. Let cool completely.
6. Count the pumpkin seeds with the children. Ask, “How many do we have all together?”
7. Divide the pumpkin seeds equally among the children. Place the seeds in individual paper cups.
8. Ask the children to count the seeds in their cups.
9. Eat the pumpkin seeds!