See how children's creativity flourishes with this fun seasonal pumpkin picture activity from The GIANT Encyclopedia of Monthly Activities For Children 3 to 6. Children may keep their pumpkin pictures abstract, or draw additional embellishments likes stems, vines, or faces!
- small pumpkins
- paint and brushes
- bins of water
What to Do
- Put small pumpkins, paint, paintbrushes, and newsprint in the art center. Have small bins of water and towels available.
- Encourage the children to cover their pumpkins with paint and make a print by wrapping newsprint around their pumpkins.
- Help them carefully peel the newsprint off the pumpkins.
- Have the children dunk their pumpkins in water and rub the paint off.
- Dry the pumpkin for the next person to use.
- If desired, let each child paint a pumpkin and bring it home.
More to do Books
Read It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles Shaw. Ask the children if they see any images in their pumpkin prints.