1. Write the numerals 1 to 10 on separate Post-It notes (not the sticky side).
2. On the opposite (sticky) side, write five simple words the children know or
can learn easily. Start with the children’s names or simple words such as stop,
go, and ball. Write each word on two Post-Its with numerals that aren’t
adjacent (for example, write “ball” on Post-Its 1 and 7).
3. Stick the Post-Its on a wall in two or three rows.
4. The children take turns calling out two numbers at a time.
5. Turn over the Post-It notes corresponding to the called numbers.
6. When the words on two Post-Its match, remove the numerals from the
7. If there’s no match, return the Post-Its to their places and give the next child a
8. When the children have matched all the words, play again with the same
words or use new words.