playdough ingredients (see the recipe to the right)
No-Cook Playdough bowl
1 cup cold water 1 cup salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil brown tempera paint
3 cups flour 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* In a bowl, mix water, salt, oil, and enough tempera paint to make brown.
* Gradually add flour and cornstarch until the mixture reaches the consistency
of bread dough.
p r E pA r At i o n
* Have all ingredients and materials ready.
* Read a book about porcupines with the children.
What to Do
1. Have the children assist in making playdough.
2. Take turns pouring, stirring, and kneading the dough.
3. Give each child toothpicks and about half a cup of playdough.
4. Ask the children to place the playdough on the table and mold an egg-shaped
5. Have the children push toothpicks into the playdough to make quills. Have
the children glue on two wiggle eyes.
Teacher - to - Teacher Tip
* Use blunt-tipped toothpicks.
Consider the following:
* Can the children measure and help make playdough?
* Can the children identify a porcupine and its quills?