1 cup (125 g) flour
1/2 cup (125 g) salt
1 cup (240 ml) water
1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon (5 g) cream of tartar
Food coloring, optional
Measuring cup and spoons
Heavy large spoon
Stove or hot plate (adult only)
Plastic airtight container
1. Making playdough is a great fine motor and sensory experience.
2. Help the children measure flour, salt, water, vegetable oil, and cream of tartar
and add them to the bowl. Show them how to mix it all together using the
large spoon. If adding color, mix the food coloring with the water before
mixing it in.
3. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and cook it over medium heat until it
thickens (adult only). Or, you can microwave the mixture in a plastic or glass
container until it is warm. When it is thickened, remove it from the heat.
4. While the playdough is still warm, give each child some of it. Encourage the
children to mix it with their hands, sprinkling in flour as they knead it. (You
may want to sprinkle the table with flour, too.)
5. Enjoy and have fun!
6. Store the dough in a plastic container with a tight lid in the refrigerator.
More to do
Add plain unsweetened Kool-Aid to the playdough for color and scent.