Large sheet of brown roll paper, approximately 3’ x 6’
Construction paper in vegetable colors, such as orange and green
Crayons or markers
1. Cut out vegetable shapes from construction paper (or use reproducible
vegetable pictures). Cut out a lot of them (or make a lot of copies).
2. Draw lines down the roll paper lengthwise to form a row
for each kind of vegetable.
3. Encourage the children to color the vegetable and cut them out.
4. Help the children glue their vegetables
onto the paper garden, making sure to keep
one kind of vegetable in each row.
5. Ask the children count the number of
vegetables in each row. Encourage the
children to compare which row has the
most and which has the least number of
6. Ask the children to compare the colors of
the vegetables and count how many are
red, green, yellow, and so on.
More to do
Dramatic Play: Put out toy
gardening tools (hoes, rakes,
shovels, and so on) so the
children can pretend to
take care of the garden.