small cutout pictures of various products (from magazines or catalogues)
1. Divide the poster board into four equal squares and label each section with
one of the following titles: Balancing, Shapes, Counting, and Buying.
2. Trace four or five pennies in the Balancing section.
3. Trace small circles, squares, and triangles in the Shapes section.
4. Write 1 to 5 in the Counting section, with a corresponding number of dots
next to each numeral.
5. Glue magazine pictures in the Buying section. Write a price next to each
picture. (For example, next to a picture of a candy bar, write 5 cents.)
6. Provide pennies for children to do the following activities:
* In the Balancing section, children stack pennies on top of the traced
* In the Shapes section, children match the pennies to the circles (not the
triangles and squares).
* In the Counting section, children place their pennies on the dots next to
* In the Buying section, children put the correct number of pennies beside
each indicated price.