Clean, flat surface
Sugar cookie dough
Circular cookie cutter
4 egg yolks
4 small bowls or butter dishes
1 teaspoon (5 ml) water
New, clean paintbrushes
1. Place the cookie dough on a clean, flat surface and roll it out.
2. Help the children cut out cookies using a circular cookie cutter. Place them on
a cookie sheet.
3. Put one egg yolk into each of the four bowls. Add 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) water
and food coloring to each bowl.
4. Paint the cookies with the egg mixture. (If the egg mixture becomes thick, add
a few drops of water.) Use a different paintbrush for each color.
5. Place the cookie sheet into the oven (adult only). Bake the cookies according
to the recipe.
More to do
This is a great activity for unit themes or special occasions. Use homemade or
store-bought dough and various cookie cutter shapes.