- Stuffed "safari" animals, one for each child
- carpet squares
- "safari" animal books
What to do
1. On a nice dry day, without the children's knowledge, hide the stuffed safari animals on the playground.
2. Ask each child to take her carpet square outside and place it in a semi-circle for a group story time.
3. Read an age-appropriate book about a "safari" animal.
4. Talk about a safari hunt and explain that each child may find one hidden animal on the playground.
5. Dismiss the children from the group one by one to go on their hunt to locate a hidden animal.
-Barb Lindsay, Mson City, IA