Leaves, twigs, small pine cones, seeds
Large piece of heavy cardboard
Ribbon (plastic or fabric)
Instructions:1. Cut one large circle out of cardboard. Cut another smaller circle out of the center; the result should be a big doughnut shape.
2. Take a field trip outside with the children to collect leaves, twigs and small natural items reflective of the fall season.
3. Spread out all the leaves, twigs, etc. on an art table. Put the pre-cut wreath form in the center of the table.
4. Ask the children to select several of the items and take turns gluing some of the fall treasures onto the wreath. Note how with each child's addition the wreath is enhanced.
5. At the top of the wreath, the teacher can add a plastic or fabric bow.
6. Hang the fall wreath to remind the children of the fun you had working together on the project and as a focal point for continuing discussions of the fall season.
More to do
Language: Use this activity as an introduction to a discussion of the various changes in the outdoor world as fall arrives. Children could also describe the different colors and shapes of the natural items they collect, and compare their findings with those of other children.