- Shoe box
- Contact paper
- Iron filings
- Magnets: bar, horseshoe and u
- Metal items
- Non-metal items
- Magnifying glass
What to do
1. Cover a shoe box with contact paper.
2. Assemble the above items in the shoe box.
3. Encourage experimentation with the items to answer questions like: What happens when two magnets come into contact with one another? Do magnets pick up iron fillings? What objects were you not able to pick up with a magnet?
4. Look at the items through the magnifying glass. How does the magnifying glass make things look?
5. What does a prism do?
-Monica Hay-Cook, Tucson, AZ