- Small, empty water bottles with lids
- Small sound-producing items (such as beads or small buttons)
- Music tapes or CDs
- Sticks (tongue depressors, craft sticks, and 6-8" pieces of small dowel rods)
- Open the empty bottles to let the insides dry completely. Give one to each child.
- Show the children how to use a funnel to place the sound-making objects of their choice into their bottles.
- Screw the lids on tightly and tape for extra security.
- Let the children decorate the outside of their bottles with permanent markers and stickers.
- Play music and encourage the children to shake their bottles with the music.
- Provide small sticks for them to rub on the ridges on the sides of the bottle to make a different sound.
- If desired, have the children make a classroom set by putting one type of item into each bottle.