- Fresh snow
- Large tubs
- Large towel
- Small twigs
- 1" x 6" scraps of material
- Muffin liners
- Beads or pebbles
- Baby carrots
- Gather fresh snow in large tubs and bring it into the classroom. Spread large towels on the table and put the materials in separate bowls.
- Ask the children to put on mittens before working with the snow. Help them mold snowballs to make a snowman's body.
- Encourage them to decorate their snowmen using small twigs for arms, material scraps for scarves, muffin cups for hats, beads or pebbles for eyes and mouth (watch for choking hazard), and baby carrots for noses.
- Follow up with observations of the melting snow.
- If snow is unavailable, use white modeling dough (see recipe below). Children can use Mr. Potato Head accessories to decorate the snowman.
Modeling Dough Recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup white powdered tempera paint
Combine all the ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring until it forms a ball. Remove from heat, let it cool, and knead.