The Milk Makers by Gail Gibbons
12 tagboard cow cutouts
crayons or markers
Instructions:* Cut out 12 cows and use crayons or markers to make cows with these colors:
white with brown spots (Ayrshire), mostly brown with some white areas
(Brown Swiss), reddish brown (Guernsey), light brown (Jersey), white with
black splotches (Holstein).
What to Do
1. Read The Milk Makers by Gail Gibbons to the children several times to
familiarize them with the different colors of cows.
2. Display all the cow cutouts so the children can easily see them. Ask a child to
choose one cutout and identify its color: reddish brown, for example.
Consider inviting each child to hold a cutout.
3. Ask another child to find a cow with a matching color. Place these two cutouts
together on the rug. Ask if anyone else can add to that set. Continue until all
the reddish brown cows are sorted into a set.
4. Repeat with another color until all the cows are sorted by color.
5. Mix them up and repeat, starting with a different color.
Teacher - to - Teacher Tip s
* To extend this sorting activity, sort some old crayons by color and by wrappers
(which crayons have wrappers still on and which do not).
* To further extend the activity, serve milk for snack, with chocolate syrup as a
Consider the following:
* Can the children distinguish between various colors?
* Can the children say the names of the different colors?