4” x 6” (10 cm x 15 cm) rectangles
1. Cut different shapes (circle, triangle, heart, etc.) out of the center of each rectangle.
2. Ask the children if they know what a shadow is. Is it easier to see shadows when the lights
are on or off? Why?
3. Show the shape cards to the children. Review the shapes.
4. Turn off the lights to darken the room.
5. Ask the children to predict what will happen when a
flashlight is directed through the cut-out shapes.
6. Turn on the flashlight and aim the light through a
shape so that the light shines on a nearby wall.
7. Ask the children what is projected on the wall. What makes a shadow?
8. Repeat with the remaining shapes.
9. Follow up this project by reading some books that explain shadows with the children.