- White paper
- Light or lamp
- Black crayon
What to do
1. Hang a piece of white paper on the wall.
2. Have one child sit in front of the paper, their side toward the wall.
3. Place the light a short distance away, creating a silhouette.
4. Invite a second child to trace the silhouette with a pencil.
5. Have the rest of the class create their silhouettes in turn.
6. When their silhouettes are finished, ask the children to color them in with black crayon.
More to do
- Art: Draw outlines of animals or other creatures on overhead transparencies and project them onto a large sheet of white paper. Then have the children trace the outlines and create lifesize drawings. Assemble the drawings in a life-size coloring book.
- Dramatic play: Show the children how to make shadow puppets with their hands. Encourage the children to perform a skit using only shadows.
-Sandra Hutchins Lucas, Cox's Creek, KY