- poster of the food pyramid
- clean, empty food packages
- Talk about nutrition and healthy foods with the children. Talk about the food pyramid and show a poster, if available.
- Discuss vitamins and minerals and how they are important for good health. Explain that food packaging contains information for the consumer, such as expiration date, weight, servings per container, nutritional value, and ingredients.
- Show the children a few empty food packages and point out the nutritional information, ingredients, expiration date, and so on.
- Encourage the children to explore the packaging.