Leaves, ferns, and grasses
Watercolor paper cut into rectangular bookmark shapes
Clear contact paper
Thread or yarn
1. Collect small fall leaves, ferns, and grasses with the children. Lay them on newspaper, or press
them between pages of books until they are dry. This may take a few days.
2. Invite the children to paint the bookmark shapes.
3. Let the bookmarks dry.
4. Set out the pressed plants and encourage the children to glue them on to their bookmarks in
arrangements of their choice.
5. Laminate or cover each bookmark with clear contact paper.
6. Punch a hole at the top of each bookmark.
7. Have the children tie yarn or thread through the hole.
More to do
More art: Cut the paper into small squares and make gift tags.
Outdoors: Rake autumn leaves into a big pile and let the children jump in.